Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Everything and Nothing

I apologize for leaving that worrisome headline up there for so long.

Nothing is wrong with the adoption, in fact things are rolling along fairly smoothly (so far). Pili and I had a spat about adoption related things and in a fit of immaturity I decided that the best way to communicate with her was to blog about it. When I came to my senses I realized talking to her was probably a better strategy. Shocking, I know.

I am in an ongoing state of adoptus frustratus just because I am a person who wants to Do Things. And right now all I can do is wait. Wait for the letter so we can go and get fingerprinted. Wait for Vaseline Teeth to write up the homestudy. Wait wait wait wait wait.

Fortunately I have been keeping myself entertained with various work-related soap operas (Dear Exec. Director: Asking the one African American staff member at our organization for suggestions for African-American board members in an all staff meeting does not convince me that you understand why board diversity is important) along with more pleasant endeavors. I got to meet the newly gravid Bri, Mikey & Sophia of Ewok Journeydom and Lo of the Family O. Much fun and food was had.

I am so intrigued by the differences and similarities between people's online personalities and inperson personalities. Bri seemed a little more gentle in person than her rapier online wit led me to expect... or perhaps it was the lack of caffiene and her newly delicate condition? Sophia was positively bubbly. A nice tall glass of seltzer our Sophia. (I drink about a gallon of the stuff a day, so this is decidely complimentary). She and Mikey are very cute together. And Lo was much quieter than I had expected, given that she wrangles seventh graders for a living! (Perhaps she just recharges all summer long?) I'm very curious to know what you all think. Was I what you expected? How is your online personality different from your real life personality?

Upcoming Updates: Some BlogLove, a Smokey Update, The Return of the Interview Meme (you thought I forgot! Anyone else want to be interviewed?), and the resolution of the Ethical Dilemmas.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I come across as far more cynical on my blog than I am in real life, but then again, IF is one of the only things about which I'm cynical. So that makes sense.

You can interview me, if you're looking for people!

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hs bf here, sweltering in queens. Would be delighted to be interviewed.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

I'm up for the interview.
I KNOW I am different IRL than online. Way different. I've actually met someone IRL before who asked me if I paid someone to write my blog for me, because she didn't believe it was me!
Glad you updated. I was wondering what was up and slightly worried.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

Well you tell me? How is my online personality like my real life one?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

Well, I knew you before I started to read your blog. I think you are a lot like you write yourself. Although, I think you aren't artificially sweetened. I think you come by it naturally!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Hmm. I met you pretty quickly after I started reading your blog, but my initial impression was someone who'd be kind of tough and you weren't at all.

I think I'm just as neurotic and fucked in IRL as I am online.

Totally with you on the waiting thing. I HATE waiting.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm adding you to my RSS reader. :)

10:02 PM  
Blogger Calliope said...

I'm about 88% of my blog self. I am much more emotional IRL and certainly not always as cheerful as I try to write (bwha ha ha).

I'm guessing that you are just as fab IRL as in the blog world.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

I am not sure if I am completely different IRL as I am on the internet. I know I have a shy streak that rears it's head (shyly, mind you) every once in a while, but for the most part, I think I yam what I yam.

Except for the fact that I have one million legs. I'm actually a blogging millipede.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Gentler. Yes, I definitely can't talk like I write. And, in my adult years, I have found that it takes a while for me to become my harsher self with new people. But, for example, at work my good friend Mondale will sometimes tease me about something and then look at me with utter fear in his eyes and say, "Don't kill me now." So IRL, after a bit of time, I am known to be occasionally scary.

And, of course, Wes would probably find the concept of me as gentle to be laughable, poor guy.

I also thought you might be a bit harsher and tougher IRL and found you not so much. Maybe we have that in common. You rock in both, though.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am shy and socially awkward IRL. I try to fake not-shy but it doesn't always work. Probably, I'm about 50 times more likely to respond on your blog than I ever would be to talk to you IRL, unless we were in a forced social situation. Then I would be scared stiff, and I'd talk to much and act like a fool.

Actually, one of the best things about you internets is that I actually talk to you and don't worry nearly as much.

6:15 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

The only fellow bloggers I have met are Co and Lo of Family O. Isn't it interesting? I wonder who people think I am as well, and if I'm different than expected. I think I am very much like my online self, but I guess Co and Lo are the only ones who could verify that. :)
I'm always up for an interview.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home