Saturday, August 12, 2006

Photo Friday: My Rack

Go away pervy people, it's my spice rack we're talking about here.

This one's dedicated to Cali. If you're not already familiar with Cali, she's the grande dame of Photo Friday and a spreader of much internet love. She could use a little love herself these days, so please go and give it to her. Thanks.

Our house is full of fun old house features, along with some old house quirks I won't go into right now. It has two laundry chutes going down to the basement, pull out drawers for flour and root vegetables, and this spice cabinet. Space starved New Yorkers, eat your hearts out right now. There are benefits to semi-metropolitan living.

DSC_4352

When the doors are closed, the chaos is hidden.

DSC_4355

On the left side live the spices. They are organized semi-alphabetically, in a fashion that makes sense to me, but would make my librarian friends weep with frustration. Lots of them are for Indian cooking. Note large container of turmeric and black mustard seeds.

DSC_4357

On the right we have, from the bottom up: baking supplies & honey from last year's CSA, vinegars and oils (Perel Vinegars=Salad Crack), Big Box O' Emergen-C, random stuff, more vitamins (anyone need some prenatals? Sigh) and kitty glucosamine for the arthritic kitty.

Did I mention that when you close the door, you don't have to see any of the chaos? And that the shelves are shallow enough that the spices don't get lost in the back of the cupboard, but not too shallow for the chunky Morton's salt container?

8 Comments:

Blogger J said...

It's only a little shocking how similar our "racks" are.

Haha. I keep making myself laugh. "rack." whenever I type it....giggles. And I don't giggle. I wonder what this is about!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I have an older house, but I don't have a rack (well, I do, but it's a whole other kind of rack). But I do have an ironing board that comes out of the wall, which is very cool, even if I don't iron. I'd love to have that spice cabinet. That's beyond cool.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Tamsin said...

Indian spices rock! Especially black mustard seeds ;o) Mmm, I need me some dhal....

8:13 AM  
Blogger Calliope said...

what a fine rack you've got!

(& thanks for the love. xo)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Nice rack, Art-Sweet.

(Ah, how I love puns. Not like you set me up or anything.)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Sadly, I have no rack (of either kind, I'm afraid :-)

A kitchen cupboard (jury-rigged with small shelves that look like steps) is what we use to store our spices-- unfortunately, many still get lost in the depths...

Thus, I'm having some major rack envy looking at yours.

6:35 PM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

Oh, I just love older houses with lots of quirky spaces. My grandparents' house had many cubbyholes, as we used to call them, which provided hours of fun for kids to crawl in and explore. Nice rack, by the way. Sorry if I'm being too forward.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Tamsin said...

Art-Sweet, since you've already been over to my new blog, I hope that it's OK for me to link to you?!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home