Friday, October 13, 2006

The Week of Ick

Memo to self: Do not chew gum when you have a stitch in your tongue. At least not on the right side of your mouth where the stitch is.

Memo to self: Do not chew gum when you have had two deep cavities filled earlier this week. At least not on the left side of your mouth where the cavities were.

Why do I have a stitch in my tongue? Because I have a sore that keeps coming back in the same place in my mouth. I'm a little freaked out by this, because when I was in high school, I had a penpal who died of cancer of the tongue as a teenager. Never smoked. Just a random thing.

So when I went to the dentist, I was not thrilled when he said, well, it's probably nothing, but maybe you should go and have the oral surgeon check this out. And when I went to the oral surgeon, he said, well, it's probably nothing, but let's do a biopsy just to be sure.

And now I have a stitch in my tongue.

Most likely? It is lichen planus, another lovely auto-immune condition (thanks, body. Fuck you too), which I already get from time to time elsewhere on my body. I'm trying not to go google med school on this - and I urge you not to - because really, it's pretty gross.

Have you ever had a stitch in your tongue? It bites. Not literally.

16 Comments:

Blogger Vivian said...

I am so sorry you have a stitch and fillings. I hope it is nothing and the biopsy is negative. auto immune diseases suck! Here is to being able to chew all the gum you want very soon. :o)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

aaack! This just sounds like a tough week for you. Biopsies and stitches, in any combination, are never any fun! Take care of yourself, and maybe try a lozenge instead of gum!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lo said...

A few years ago I had a lump on the inside of my bottom lip, rubbing against my gums (very uncomfortable), which the oral surgeon also biopsied "just to make sure." It was something random, I actually don't remember the technical term for it anymore. What I did learn, however, was that my dental insurance wouldn't cover its removal because it was not technically my mouth, it was soft tissue; while my medical insurance also would not pay because it was, after all, inside my mouth.
I did foot the bill to get the thing taken off. But who knew we needed lip insurance.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Does it seem like we're always waiting for test resuts. I hate it-hate it-hate it!
I hope you're feeling better and get a good report.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Here's to hoping you get well soon and can comfortably chew your gum.

And blow bubbles too.

9:44 PM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

So sorry! Hope it heals quickly and that the results are benign. I'll check back soon.

7:21 PM  
Blogger mopsa said...

yikes. I would not be able to leave a stitch alone. I would fiddle with it obsessively. I'd make it worse. You sound like you have a healthy handle on your stitch. Anyway, it probably is nothing. But I'll say a little something (prayer/chant/song/novina/what-have-you) just to be sure.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Ick is right, A-S. I hope you're feeling better today. :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger hd said...

Ugh. No, but I was playing basketball with my cousing once, before he became 6'4" and was still short enough to stand up under my chin and cause me to bite a hole in my tongue with my right eye tooth. It was not good.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Calliope said...

a stitch in your tongue?!?!? damn. that is hard core.
I knew you were punk rock- but this is kind of over the top.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

Awww, Art, sorry that you had to go through this. But it is better to be safe than sorry. When you are feeling better lets all of us go to dinner and enjoy OK?

1:44 PM  
Blogger George said...

Owwie! No toungue twisters for you ArtSweet. I hope you feel better soon. :(

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said...

I love the phrase "google med school"

10:32 PM  
Blogger erinberry said...

Ohs ouch :(

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuck. I've had my own dental dramas this last year- my second set of braces (yes, I did wear my retainers the first time, but they still moved anyway). Just got the braces off and now the stupid retainers are giving me blisters. So I sympathize.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my bad....forgot Id read your stuff and ADORE YOUR WRITING.

serious topic amazing was to convey it...

snarky snarky in a great way

Carla

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home