Monday, April 17, 2006

FET #3: Or, meet Tooty and Fruity

Otherwise known as embryos one & two.

Smoothly transferred into Pili's womb this afternoon.

In the waiting room afterwards, I fussed with the coffee machine as a pretext whilst shamelessly ogling eyeing another lesbian couple sitting side by side in the oh-so-tasteful mission furniture, gazing deeply into each other's eyes.

Should I break the sacred waiting room code of silence? This is Small City, and there aren't that many of us around. On the other hand... look at how lovey-dovey they are. They're either brand new here or they're here for a let's hear the baby's heartbeat ultrasound. In which case I may go out of my head with jealousy will be very very happy for them.

I finally decided that I had to break the code of silence, if only so that they wouldn't interpret my one-cup-coffee-machine-fiddling-blatent-staring as a straight woman giving them the hairy eyeball. While it can take a long time to choose between french roast and earl grey, five minutes is probably pushing it, no?

The unpardonable thing? In a fertility clinic, the only decaf option was chamomile. Blech.

So, how long have you guys been coming here?

Oh, this is our first visit. We're just here for a consultation with Dr. SBS. (oh crap. you do not want to talk to me) How about you?

Well, um, we've been here for a while. I'm just waiting for my partner. We actually wound up doing IVF, my eggs, her uterus...

Oh wow! How great. We're still trying to decide who goes first!

Um, yeah. It's great if it works. (Pili emerges) Well, good luck to you. See you again, maybe.

I am trying to welcome these embryos with sweetness and light, to convince them that they would like to stay put for a while. I held my hand over Pili's stomach for a minute and tried to think only cheerful happy smiling family thoughts.

I have absolutely no expectation that this will work, and yet I can't help hoping that I will be surprised.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

Not that we've started trying yet, art-sweet, but I feel a similar dark cloud hovering around my head. Just wanna make contact.

7:08 PM  
Blogger M. said...

I hope you'll be surprised too. Fingers crossed.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Positive energy. That's what I'm trying to remember.

7:29 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

I hope too. Good job with the lesbian small talk. Its good! Maybe you can be friends.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, art-sweet! Very exciting/scary/wonderful news.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Thinking sticky thoughts and crossing everything and hoping along with you.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Estelle said...

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Good job on meeting the new girls. And way to go on not scaring them away by going into detail about your attempts. THAT'S the hard part!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Thinking good thoughts <3

11:14 AM  
Blogger Red said...

Sending positive thoughts/feelings to you and Pili. Way to make nice with the new couple waiting to meet their doom....I mean get started on their TTC journey. I wish someone would have been welcoming to us the first time we went to our clinic. I've yet to see another queer couple there unfortunately.
FXFXFX!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am hoping for you, too. Really hoping a lot.

3:08 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

I'm sending happy-implanting-embryo vibes. I have to say this is the first I've done that before! Here's hoping the little boogers stick!!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home