Thursday, April 13, 2006

No Photo Friday

The photo friday topic was just announced, so photo friday will be happening something more like photo monday.

In the meantime.

I didn't get the job.

I'm not sure if I'm just numb or if I really don't care all that much.

The director was really good about telling me exactly why I was the runner up.
And I think that helped. I know that the candidate who won had specific skills that I don't have - and don't particularly want to have. Part of me is kicking myself for not being more gung-ho about this area in the interview. It was the one moment where I thought, ah crap, that was not the answer they wanted to hear. But when it comes down to it, I'm not a huge fan of this technology, and I'm not sure I would want to take a job that was moving in that direction, (I'm sorry to be so vague, but...) even if it's the only job in my area.

I also went to a conference earlier this week and made some contacts who might throw some consulting work my direction. If I could get enough of that to quit the job that blows, I think I'd be a happ(ier) camper.

Pili and I have both been so stressed out and fried lately, with no time to connect with each other. We had my parents up to our house last night for a Passover seder with some friends and are supposed to go to the Big City (~ 4 hours drive) for family seders friday and saturday. As much as I love my family and am excited to see the Wonder Nieces and Nephew (aka my cousins' kids), part of me really wishes we could just stay home, sleep in, and be alone together. My parents' apt is so small and cluttered, I feel in constant danger of losing myself - both literally and figuratively.

Blah. Blah. Blah. I could go on, but I will not. I will leave you with two tasty tidbits.

1) FET monday. Anyone actually think this is going to work? Yeah, me neither.
I should cheer for the poor little frozen embryos, and think positively, but all evidence to date seems to indicate that neither thinking positively nor making Pili stay horizontal for 24 hours post-transfer have any effect on the success rate of this procedure.

2) The best passover desert ever.

Ingredients
Matzah (about three sheets)
2 sticks of margarine (or butter for a tastier dairy/don't care about kashrut meal)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 small bag of chocolate chips

Preparation
Cover a cookie sheet with foil to make cleanup easier.

Line the cookie sheet with matzahs — it is okay if they overlap a little.

Melt the margarine with the brown sugar until it starts to boil. Pour the mixture over the matzahs and bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes (should be starting to brown, but not burning)

Take the pan out of the oven and pour the chocolate bits over the matzahs.

After they melt let cool in the fridge for one hour.

Break up in small pieces.

Take large insulin bolus and eat the whole thing.

If you like savory, rather than sweet, add a little (1 tsp) salt to the butter/sugar mixture, sprinkle some nuts on top before baking, and omit the chocolate.

10 Comments:

Blogger Blondie said...

Damn, A-S. I'm sorry.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Flmgodog said...

Frick...Sorry about the job...

I have to say that it quite possibly one of the best passover desserts I have had as well. Last year two different friends brought it to my house. One made it with butter the other with some kind of fake crap...the butter one was almost so good I forgot it was a passover dessert. Hmmm, maybe at 2 a.m. when I get home from the office tonight I will whip some of that up!!!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm so sorry you didn't get the job.

I hope you and Pili can find some quality time together soon.

And damn you for giving out that matzo recipe!! :) It looks too easy to not make. My husband is Jewish, so I'm sure he'll enjoy some matzo sweets :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Damn.

But as you say, the job could be moving in a direction that would not be in your comfort zone-- so better it didn't happen.

Still sucks, though.

Do what you can to carve out some time with Pili.

Really -- more than anything else right now -- you both need that.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I'm sorry about the job. That sucks.

Can you and Pili take a mental health break and go somewhere for a couple of days or just stay home and chill out?

That matzo thing sounds great. I may have to try that.

9:47 PM  
Blogger FattyPants said...

Good luck with the fet on monday. And sorry bout the job :(

11:50 PM  
Blogger Lyrehca said...

I think I had a variation on your tasty matzah dessert last night at a seder. They were called toffee bars and I was shocked by how good they were. (Not a matzah fan here).

Good luck with the consulting route; I've freelanced for years and did it full-time for two, and while I was always hustling for the work, I enjoyed it because I enjoyed the work. Maybe picking up consulting gigs will be the turning point for you.

And best of luck with the FET.

7:28 AM  
Blogger hd said...

Sorry about the job. I've been through that process recently with the same results, and it sucks. I'm getting ready to jump back in. I've been at my current job for 10 years, and I had forgotten how much anxiety the interview process causes. Oh, the self esteem issues...ugh.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Lo said...

Thanks for the recipe. We're trying that when we get home from Family Politics Hell (a.k.a. my mom's house, which is somewhere I've never lived).

12:21 PM  
Blogger Lo said...

Thanks for the recipe. We're trying that when we get home from Family Politics Hell (a.k.a. my mom's house, which is somewhere I've never lived).

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home