Saturday, June 03, 2006

What I like about you (Photo Friday)

I do a lot of whinging here about where we live, otherwise known as "The City That Always Sleeps (But you can buy a really nice house for under 150K)."

But there are some things I really like here.

One is the new friends with whom (aren't I formal!) we had dinner tonight. We talked about our Guatemala plans, their adorable daughter, and about the difficulty of being the Trailing Spouse. Talking over our agency choices with them, Pili and I realized that we knew what mattered to us. That we've made our decision. And our first social worker meeting is next week!

This is the second thing:

I like mine with sugar.

These donuts are sold at the Saturday regional market, which is quite easily the Best Thing about living here. And the donuts are the Best Thing about the regional market. A husband and wife team have this stall. They're there every Saturday, selling fresh hot fried cake donuts for fifty cents apiece, your choice of plain or sugared. If you order sugared, they roll the donut in cinnamon sugar for you on the spot. It is impossible to describe in words the goodness of these donuts. I will try to convince you with photos.

Waiting for Donuts

The line continues outside the building.

And then there were donuts.

The donut machine.

Donut on the verge

Pili would like me to stop taking pictures and let her eat her donut.

But the regional market is not all hot sugar and flour.

Amish cakes and cookies

Mennonite folks sell delicious cold sugar and flour.

Rhubarb

Fresh Strawberries and Rhubarb

First Asparagus

Farmers sell fresh local produce, free-range meat, and plants.

Annuals Galore

Lots of plants.

I love the regional market. There are farmers' markets in many places, but they do not have four huge covered pavillions of fresh produce and annuals and perennials for me to drool over. And, most importantly, they do not have the donut stall.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

Yum, that looks like my favorite kind of donut!

Congrats on making a Decision. Lots of bloggers have been adopting from Guatemala lately and it seems like the process is really fast and you could practically get a referral in a matter of hours and then you can visit right away. Very cool!

10:20 AM  
Blogger katty said...

The donuts made my mouth water.

I love donuts so much. Do they have jam in the middle?

Donuts and a cup of sweet tea. Perfect. Eaten on a pebbly beach on a winter's day...

11:03 AM  
Blogger deanna said...

Are the red stalky things rhubarb?? I haven't seen that since I moved out of the midwest! My mom used to make this awesome rhubarb cobbler....which I think is the only way you can eat rhubarb----heaped up with sugar and flour. YUM.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I think I have been to that market if it is just north of TO. If not, just ignore me haha! I am probably way off base.

I am really pleased that you have made your decision re Guatemala. Have you visited Jen at Chew as she left yesterday to go see her daughter? www.chew.typepad.com

2:50 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Mmmmm. Donuts. Rhubarb. Asparagus. Yummy, yummy, yummy. It's after midnight and now I'm starving. Thanks. :p

Congrats on making the decision to adopt.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Calliope said...

yummmmmmm!!!!!!

& congrats on The Decision. Wonderful & amazing news.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Trista said...

Oh, those donuts look so good.

And congratulations on making your decision. Here's to hoping that the journey here on out is swift and joyous.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Well congratulations on taking such a big step. It sounds very exciting to be moving towards such an important and shared goal.

I have to put a quick plug in for a truly amazing hotel in Guatemala. If you have the chance to stay there, I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorite places on the planet that I've visited.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Hmmm, even though the link came up in the preview, it doesn't seem to have made it through to the actual comment. The hotel is called La Casa Del Mundo. It's on Lake Atitlan and the URL is http://lacasadelmundo.com.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home