Monday, August 21, 2006

More Advice Needed - edited for clarification

So, I have gotten a title change at the Workplace Most Dysfunctional(WMD - Hey, President Bush, I've found your WMDs!). Instead of being the Coordinator of Blah Blah, I am now the Manager of Blah Blah and Blech Blech. This is a good thing for my resume and for my chances of securing a job at a place which does not cause me to gnash my teeth and break out in spontaneous bursts of weeping when I make the mistake of reading my work email at home.

The problem is that I do not know how to indicate this on my resume and I need to send out some job letters ASAP.

My job responsibilites have not changed at all. I am still an underemployed peon whose superiors love to remind her of that fact (thus the spontaneous weeping from reading work email at home). But I am theoretically an underemployed peon who might be working full-time come January, and I suggested that that fact deserved a new title more representative of my many tasks and few responsibilities. My boss agreed. Other people needed to order new business cards. Business cards are cheaper if ordered in bunches. Thus, my title change happened now.

Do I:

1. List both positions on my resume seperately:

Workplace Most Dysfunctional, Manager of Blah and Blech, DATE -
BIG FAT BLANK SPACE

Workplace Most Dysfunctional, Coordinator of Blah Blah, DATE - DATE
TASKS

2. or put them in one description, giving the dates for each title:

Workplace Most Dysfunctional, Manager of Blah and Blech, DATE - PRESENT;Coordinator of Blah Blah, DATE - DATE
TASKS

I am leaning toward 2., but your suggestions are welcome. But if you know any identifying information about me or the WMD, please, please don't mention it.

ALSO, an update on the ETHICAL DILEMMAS:

I mentioned to L., the security guard that when I told Pili about her niece's wedding, Pili had asked what they were planning to do about the MA residence law. L. said, "Oh, Cape Cod is in MA? And shit, no, niece is not a MA resident." She was glad to know about the law and said she would check with her niece. The next day she told me that her niece was aware of the law, was just going to do her thing and see what happened, but that they were grateful for our concern.

And here's what I told the flakey intern:

Dear Flakey,

I wanted to check in with Good Job about their reference policy. As a reference, I can verify the dates you were there and what your responsibilities were.

Good Luck!

Art-Sweet

What would I do without you, oh fabulous bloggy friends?

12 Comments:

Blogger Gandksmom said...

I say go with #1 manager of blah, blah, because that is really what you have been doing all along right? They just changed the title to reflect that? If I am wrong, let me know.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Lyrehca said...

I'd say just list yourself as manager of your department, with all your responsibilities, and put at the end (promoted from EARLIER TITLE) so that it's clear that there was a title change. And congrats!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

#2 i think.

boy would it suck to get "caught" doing gandksmom's approach if, say, someone called to validate your title and dates of employment!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

also, should you ever be in a position to discuss this in an interview, you know to refer to this as a promotion, yes? yes.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Don't know how to advice you- but man, this post made me laugh!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Calliope said...

I say list both, with the applicable dates - but include (as lyrehca suggested) "promoted"

When I moved up the ladder in LA I went from intern to receptionist to assistant to creative assistant to executive assistant to assistant to director all at the same place & all within 6 years. I listed each job seperately but put "promoted" after each title. Not only does that indicate that you were moved up- but it could indicate that your pay was steadily going up. Something that you could use to your advantage if you wanted to ask for a higher wage later on...

good luck!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At my last job I was my normal librarian self and then also the Head of all the other librarians and tech teachers. I listed them separately, since they had different responsibilities and descriptions and because the dates when each began were different - it seemed inelegant to have to try to explain all that in one big lump. And I was able to get a different job using the resume where I did this (which I think, if I am reading right, is your number 1 option).

8:55 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Yeah, can't add much more than the "promoted" idea. Good luck to ya!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

I'm in agreement with you (and others here)-- list both exactly as you describe in #2.

Though the job description is essentially the same, the title "Manager of Blah and Blech" implies a greater level of responsibility-- thus, it will look very, very good on the resume :-)

Good Luck!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

What lyrecha said.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Michko said...

Ditto to Lyrehca and Julia. In fact, I did that on my resume.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Lo said...

I vote for option #1; that's what I've done on my resume in cases where I was promoted.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home