Monday, September 04, 2006

Art-Sweet & Pili go to the fair, or Why America Has an Obesity Problem

But first, I'm sure you have all been wondering what happened to the world's happiest tomato.


Making the Tomato Less HappyTomato Tart
Well, first I made it
G-rated.
Then I made it into
heirloom tomato tart with
parmesan crust.


So I have to write about the State Fair. The State Fair is one of the best things about living in a place where people think that Olive Garden is an ethnic restaurant. This year, I decided to take photographs of all the deep-fried things at the fair that g-d never ever meant to be deep-fried. Witness:



I didn't see them, but new this year at the fair was deep fried spaghetti and meatballs on a stick, served of course, with a slice of deep-fried Italian bread. Now I am as big a fan of fried dough and apple dumplings as anyone out there, and the maple cotton candy that I bought from the maple syrup producer's booth (yes, MinnNice, I totally disregarded my own advice to you) was delish. But I did try a bite of deep fried oreo, least you think I am a big snob who just mocks without trying. And ugh. Some things, believe it or not, were not meant to be deep fried.

There's lots of other stuff at the fair. For example:



I'm too lazy to cut and paste each photo into blogger, so click through to flickr to find out what you're looking at and read my commentary.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that tomato tart made me really, really hungry. Tomato is hands down my favorite food. Though I've never had one as special as yours.... it looks like it had a pretty stellar resting place, after its demise, at least.

Those fair pics are fantatsic!!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Deep fried OREOS??? That's just wrong on so many levels. I've had deep fried pickle chips and they're quite good, but not something I'm in a big hurry to try again. Maple cotton candy? Ooooh. Oooh, that sounds so good. I'm of the belief that the world would be a much colder place without maple syrup, though.

The tomato tart looks fantabulous. You should start a recipe blog or recipe sidebar or, y'know, just mail 'em to me. :D

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hs bf as anon again. this is the second year in a row I have missed the MN state fair, after four great years in a row. im already planning a return to MSP for it next year. Heaven.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't understand how a person even concieved of the idea of a deep fried candy bar. Nasty. The tomato tart looks a whole lot tastier.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I just saw the other pictures. Do they have KKK sheep in upstate NY?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Fabulous pics - you really capitured the essence - might just as well have been the Minn S F, except we didn't have the deep fried pineapple (dang that would be great wih a big tub of Cool Whip).
Reading this really made me want to go again, but ours is closing in 6 hours. Boo hoo.
The grapes of the summer are low on the bough.
Glad you had a nice time. Have a good week ahead!!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great photos!

The fried pics were great too. We were just talking about how everything fried is good, but I think you proved the point that that is just not true.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

I love those pics Art! You are a wonderful photographer!

8:00 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Hmm, I wonder if fried oreos fall into the same category as s'moreos--our youth group kids' experiment with an oreo, a marshmallow stick and an open campfire. Get one all toasty, and stick it with a marshmallow and some graham crackers. We can't do a camping/cookout retreat without requests for oreos. I think they'd be a hit with our kids! *seems so wrong.

10:41 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

Awesome. I think that "tomato thing" you did was more than G-rated though, Artsweet.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

That tomato tart just made my tummy growl!!!!
Please would you post the recipe?

You photos are all fab- and you made me want to resist deep fried anything for awhile-haha!

Delurking thanks to gorgeous food- take care!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

The tomato pic- not g rated. You know that.

I personally love deep fried pickles. Never had a fired candy bar, but I imagine it would be tasty. Twinkies not so much... and pineapple? No. Just no. And I am not sure how one would even manage to fry an oreo... and i know I would not eat it.

I particularly enjoyed the KKK sheep though. Lovely.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home