Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Disembowelled, Disempowered of Attorney

This one's for Andrea, who asked: Did our Power of Attorney (lets the attorney in Guatemala act on our behalf in Guatebaby's adoption) come back from being authenticated at the Consulate today? Since I couldn't find your email address, and since it is a classic story in the poor-me genre, and I'm always a sucker for sympathy, I'll give you your answer here, Andrea.

Why, yes, yes the POA did arrive today. Unfortunately, the County Clerk's name on the authentication read D------- instead of V-------. I immediately called and emailed our agency (not home), asked for advice from half a dozen people, all of whom gave conflicting advice, and eventually decided to go ahead and FedEx the documents (hello $$$) to Guatemala with the expectation that we would redo them before we hit PGN.

I got hopelessly lost looking for the FedEx HQ, which is located in one of those scary semi-industrial zones near the airport that seem like they'd be a great place to leave a body if you didn't want it to be found, ever. My gas light came on and stayed on, but I was terrified that if I stopped for gas, I wouldn't get to FedEx before they closed. I made it in the bare, we-were-about-to-lock-up nick of time, and was patting myself on the back because if I had mailed the documents tomorrow morning they wouldn't get to Guatemala until Monday. Only to get home and discover an email from the coordinator, saying, no, no - don't mail them.

Did you know you can call FedEx and they'll return documents to you? I didn't. Now I do.

Sigh.

ETA: Apparently you can ask FedEx to return documents to you. This does not insure that said documents, will, in fact, be returned to you. Sigh squared.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Yea! It's the first post ever dedicated to a question of mine. I feel special today!

Something in the air, then. As you know, I am getting ready to get our POA redone today because the notary's commission AT the Sec. of State's office expires in January (on my wedding, date, ironically). Should be a great day for a 4 hour roundtrip, plus a trip to the Sec. of State's office. :( Ugh.

Good to know about FedEx. :)

Thanks for the shout-out, sort of, Art Sweet! Hang in there, our Guatebabies are waiting for us!!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Calliope said...

ahh! I hate driving around angst. But at least you know where the fed ex is.
& I think they will actually come pick it up from you if you print out all the stuff on-line.

xo

9:56 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yipes!!!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. that fed ex thing is a gold nugget in this post for me.

you're a regular font, sister. a font.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I guess you did get gas then?

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home