Friday, December 01, 2006

Perfect Post Awards: What You Must Read

I haven't participated in the Perfect Post awards before, but I saw a button on someone's blog for them, on the same day that I read this post. I immediately emailed Lucinda and asked if I could nominate a post. (Links to the other Perfect Posts are up at her site and at Momma K's.) Here's my nomination:

With simple, direct words, and even more eloquent photographs, Sandra takes us through one of the routines of her family's life with diabetes, changing her son Joseph's infusion site. As she watches Joseph doing what he has no choice but to do, she reflects on the irony of this routine - how the doctors promised it would become as normal to them as brushing your teeth.

My words don't do it justice. Read it. And then please - do something.

I once told Sandra that I didn't think she should promise Joseph a cure, that too many of us had been promised a cure that's always "just five years away." But what she, and I, and each one of you, can promise to do, is work to make that dream a reality. For Joseph, for Daniel, for little Gracie, who is three, for Brendon, for Riley and for Julia's beautiful O. - for all of them, for all the other children living with a disease that even grown-ups shouldn't have to live with - not to mention for all of us.

Thanks. And thanks to Lucinda and Momma K. for hosting the Perfect Post awards.

7 Comments:

Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Yup, Art - pretty much sums it up.

Have a good weekend!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

This was a great post too.

I've put aside the timing of when a cure will come our way.

I simply try to contribute any way I can toward making a cure happen even if the efforts ripple their way toward the end result 50 years from now.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

Very well said Art-Sweet!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Thank you for this post.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

This was a wonderful entry...

And many thanks for nominating my post.

I'm really, really flattered. :-)

5:18 PM  
Blogger Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Very well said.

8:09 AM  
Blogger If not a mother... said...

Thank you for putting a wonderful blogger in the spotlight!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home