Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Come for the Diabetes, Stay for the Soapbox

I know from looking at my sitemeter that most of the people who get here are coming via the awesome and all powerful diabetes OC. And I know that that means that, aside from some kind of personal connection to this lovely disease, we might not have a lot in common. We may not share political convictions. We may not share religious convictions. But you're here. And it's my blog. So, I hope you'll take a minute to listen.

Pili and I are married. In front of 100 of our friends and family, with officiants from both of our faith traditions, we pledged to be true to each other. To love each other through thick and thin, rich and poor - healthy and sick (boy, Pili got the short end of that stick!). Oh yes, and to spend $2000 on a second parent adoption so that we can both legally sign permission slips and take our theoretical children to the doctor. And we're lucky. We live in a state that permits second parent adoption. If you don't understand why we're making such a big deal about gay marriage, please read this. Our tax dollars at work, my friends. Our tax dollars at work.

7 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Congratulations to you both! Good luck navigating through the adoption process. I hope it goes smoothly :-)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Good luck with the adoption. What state do you live in? I thought it was only MA that allowed gay marriage legally. Should be legal in all states, IMO, but then I'm an opinionated so-and-so.

11:42 AM  
Blogger charlotte said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:21 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

I hear ya. Thank god we live in California. I can't imagine not being able to adopt our own kids, even if we have to f-ing pay for it.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Lo said...

Oh, yuck, yuck. I really thought this whole state-by-state nonsense was solved way back somewhere in American history. Silly lil' me. (My state fits somewhere like "okay" on the spectrum, though my city is pretty good.)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

It may have been the diabetes bond that brought me here, but I stay for you. Good luck with the adoption!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Congratulations on the marriage and good luck with the adoption. I've always wanted to adopt a baby, so I look forward to hearing how things turn out for you.

Congrats again and may you and Pili have many joy-filled years together.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home