Monday, May 15, 2006

I never promised you a segue

We went to our friends' wedding this past weekend. It rained a lot, which sucked, because we had hoped to get some nice hikes in, and because they had planned on an outdoor ceremony and had to move it indoors.

Despite that, the wedding was really wonderful. It's the only queer wedding I've been to, besides my own, and they adapted parts of their vows from ours. Watching them face each other with tears in their eyes as they said the same words we did brought us both back to our own wedding. Pili and I squeezed each others' hands and thought about how far we've traveled together in the past year and how much further we hope to travel together in the year to come.

These are the words we spoke that day.

I give you my hand and my love.

I take you to be no other than yourself, loving what I know of you, trusting what I do not yet know, with respect for your integrity, and faith in your love for me.

I promise to care for and comfort you and to be your ally, in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, faithfully loving each other as long as we both shall live.


And I meant every word of it.

The topic for this weeks's Photo Fill-in-the-day-of-the-week was your best vacation photos. In light of what's on our minds this week, I thought I would post some more photos from our trip to India. While I'm not sure they're my best vacation photos ever, they're what matters to me right now.

This is a fertility shrine in the courtyard of the Meenakshi temple in Madurai.

The cobra head figurines are fertility symbols called Nagas. The cradles hanging in and around the banyan tree are given to the goddess by women grateful for her assistance in bringing them a child.

Banyan Tree & Nagas

Naga

Cradles

And then this photo from our trip to Japan. Inbetween fits of paralyzing anxiety, my joy at this potential pregnancy has been as sweet and pure as what I see on the laughing girl's face. I hope I can hold onto some of that joy no matter what Wednesday's ultrasound turns up.

Schoolgirls in the Rain

On the phone today at work, someone wished me a happy mother's day.

I hope she knows something I don't.

5 Comments:

Blogger charlotte said...

I love your joy. It makes me so happy to think that you are pregnant. That's it.

I will be thinking of you on Wednesday. Pregnancy is as scary as it is joyful. And let me tell you, it does not end when the pink little creature arrives safely. I still worry about my little guy. However the worry is less and the joy is more.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful vows you shared! You know what they say about when it rains on wedding days, right? It is good luck! Or so I've heard... :)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Beautiful words... and your photos are appropriate and lovely.

11:21 AM  
Blogger susan said...

Those are incredible vows!

I'll keep you in my thoughts on Wednesday, too.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Sending all kinds of good thoughts and vibes and all that....

Those photos are great. I really love the one of the girl laughing. And your vows are lovely. :)

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home