Wednesday, May 10, 2006

You're going to have to scroll down

To find out about the ultrasound. In the meantime, an important PSA:

The Senate has taken up debate on s.1955, the "Health Insurance Marketplace Modernization and Affordability" Act, otherwise known as the "Lose Your Benefits" bill.

This bill allows insurance companies to get around state mandates requiring coverage of little things like diabetes education and supplies, contraception, and infertility, among others. It's being sold as an opportunity for small businesses to afford coverage.

Julie summarized this whole crappy situation far better than I. The comments there give you an idea of the total impact of this bill.

In reality, calling what this bill would offer us "insurance coverage" is kind of like sending us out into a blizzard wearing a g-string and pasties. That's how "covered" we'd be.

Most insurance companies didn't cover contraception before states required them to.

Many insurance companies didn't cover basic diabetes testing supplies before states required them to.

Please call your senators and tell them to defeat this dangerous bill. If you've already called, please do it again.

To up the ante a bit, if you comment and tell me you called your senators today (be honest!), I will donate $2 per commenter to your choice of Lambda Legal Defense Fund, Planned Parenthood, or JDRF.

To be completely honest and above board with you, Pili will donate. 'Cuz we're not legally married, remember. And she itemizes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

I called my stupid senator who pretends to be a democrat a few weeks and got this stupid email back about the benefits of the bill. asshole.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Yeah, while not qualifying for the donation (what a nice thing for you to do!) because I wrote my senator a while back.

He wrote back saying he supports the bill too. I replied again letting him know what that meant to me, and how saving a bit now means PAYING OUT THE ASS later.

I don't think it was enough to make him change his views.

Frustrating to no end.

Also wanted to add that I'm happy for you & Pili with the pregnancy! Congrats!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I wrote both of my senators a few weeks back, and they never told me what they support.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Sandy J said...

Gosh, will have to definitely check into that.

Here from Michelle's!

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote to both of my CT Senators and called the office in Washington to reister my opposition to this bill.

Also, good luck with becoming parents...from what I read, you would make a great parent!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I called both of my senators today even though I have previously emailed them on this. My lovely conversations with them are posted in my latest blog entry. ARGHHH!!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did the same thing as Cat and got the same response from both of our senators. One is on the committee that sponsored the bill, and wrote that the bill will help small-business owners afford health insurance. I mentioned to him that my husband owns a small business and couldn't afford to get health insurance for his employees even if the bill passed--it just reduces benefits to existing patients without any benefit for small-business owners or employees. I didn't get a response from that one.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home