Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Well, I still have all my limbs

After a fantastic weekend in flat cosmopolitan city (shout out to our lovely hostesses and the beauticious bride & groom) I came back to work today to find out that I am being laid off from the job that does NOT blow due to not getting the grant that would pay for my position to continue.

I was very composed and did not cry in the director's office as he and my boss explained to me how wonderful I am and how sorry they are and blah blah blah blah.

But this sentence in the letter he handed me just infuriates me:

"Art-Sweet, it has been a true pleasure to work with you and I expect our paths will cross again. Thank you for your service and dedication to Organization X. Given your qualifications, proven abilities, and broad network of colleagues, I am confident that you will able to find a full time position that suits your talents and needs soon."

Riiight. I haven't found a full time job that suits my talents and needs in the three years since we moved to this god forsaken corner of the country.

I will continue on at the job that blows (where the director asked me, in reference to our wedding, who would be the bride and who would be the groom) and I suppose make good use of my additional two days of free time a week to actually complete the Thesis and etc. etc. etc.

But right now, I am convinced, more so than ever, that a black cloud hangs over my head and follows me around and surrounds me with my own personal microclimate of raining crap.

20 Comments:

Blogger deanna said...

Oh, sweetie, that SUCKS! To finally find a job you really like and then have it taken away.....NOT FAIR. I'm really sorry....

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just saw you this weekend & I promise there is no dark cloud!!! You are the same wonderful person I've known for years. Things may not be going exactly as you planned them, but it seems that every time life throws a patch like that at me, there is a silver lining on the other side. I am confident that it will be the same for you, so hang in there!!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger b. said...

that sucks. and blows. blows. and sucks. so sorry...

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are many experiences that you have gone through to which I cannot always relate my own personal experiences and can only offer my love and compassion to you. Being let go from a job, however, is one horrendous event to which I can relate!! Quite frankly, it sucks! For me, at least, it has taken a long time to recover emotionally. My unsolicited advice is this: Rely upon the love and support around you. It will carry you through! I promise! I can also promise you this: "The deeper the mud, the more beautiful the lotus."

Know that we are sending you lots of love and support from the flat metropolis!!


PS: I concur with my significant other. There is no dark cloud over your head!! In fact, the flat metropolis is a little darker without you! :-)

1:06 PM  
Blogger M. said...

Oh no! I am so sorry. Hope something unforeseen and lovely pops up.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Trista said...

Ug. I'm sorry. I know how that feels. I lost my wonderful job because a grant was not granted. And now here I am at job suckville...

You are having a run of black gunkiness lately. Here's to hoping that it turns around SOON and spectacularly!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Calliope said...

shit. How maddening!
I hope the cloud dries up soon & leaves you.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg those assholes. of course they wait till you all get back
a big ole }:p to them.
lots of hugs to you all . what they say is true what comes around goesa round. so mybe since they did this they will get there due and make them sorry. and you will find a freaking awesome job that will kick ass!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

well that sucks. sigh.

3:26 PM  
Blogger pithydithy said...

I'm so sorry. It sucks and then it sucks even more that they play chirpy lip service to you easily finding a new good job as though they have not a clue. Sigh. I'm sorry.

4:16 PM  
Blogger J said...

I'm sorry that you're having a shit-sandwich day. Though I agree with those who nay your dark cloud assesment. Totally untrue.

I hope good things for you

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap fucking crap. I am so, so sorry. That sucks like nobody's business. Crap.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

dito ditto on all the crap comments.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lo said...

yeah. That sucks. So sorry...

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if there is a dark cloud, remember that life can change quicker than the blink of an eye...

1:23 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Aw man, that just blows. I have one of those clouds, too. They do go away, eventually, but when they're here, they really fuck things up. Here's to a change in weather patterns, for both of us.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

That's just horrible, Art-Sweet. I'm so sorry.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

bugger, bugger, bugger!


Can you afford to be a SAHM on those few days a week at all?

PS - your questions AWAIT you! :)

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry!!! You and Pili brought so much light and joy to our wedding this weekend (and you did an amazing job keeping me from going nuts or committing matricide while getting ready)!

Love and hugs from the flat cosmopolitan city -- which is a bleaker place without you and Pili here.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. That just sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home