Wednesday, December 06, 2006

One more post, then I'll shut up

The endo appt. was good. Really good. Not perfect - why can't doctors use "high" and "low" instead of "bad" and "good" when they're talking about your blood sugars?

But for starters, my A1C was 7.5. That's the lowest it's been in... a long time.

And the doctor sat and listened and looked at me, not my chart. For almost an hour. We talked about where to find carb counts for ethnic foods; about CGM and whether it's right for me, about my after-dawn dawn effect. He gave me his email address if I had follow up questions, but said, don't hesitate to call if it's urgent. In fact, he stepped out of the room during our appointment to take an urgent patient call. (And apologized profusely when he came back in)

He tickled my feet and said that the falling-asleep-feet that I had been experiencing more often than previously was not neuropathy. He looked at my eyes and said that to the naked eye, it sure didn't look like I had had diabetes for 21 years.

I feel so unbelievably lucky today. And grateful, for all the people in my life who listen to me and encourage me, all of you, all of my friends Outside the Computer, and most of all for my sweet Pili, who supports me, challenges me, and doesn't give up on me, even when I'm ready to give up on myself.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog hiatus.

24 Comments:

Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Niiiiiiice. Sounds 1ike a great endo.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

I just read your post from yesterday, then saw this one.

And read it through tears.

(Damn. Seems like every time I visit here lately, I just lose it.)

This is really wonderful.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

That's great - there remains hope for all of us.

7:06 PM  
Blogger George said...

WTG! Dang, I wanna see your endo!

7:29 PM  
Blogger In Search Of Balance said...

Congratulations! What a relief that must be. Good for you, and good for your endo.

8:03 PM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

Beautiful.

Amazing.

Yay.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

sounds like you have a keepr!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please say you live in the NYC area and we can go to your doctor!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Bernard said...

That's wonderful, he's sound just great.

I'm thrilled for you. Especially about the e-mail business that makes a BIG difference.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Lyrehca said...

Great report...and next time you see the doc, tell him "bad and good" numbers are merely a judgment call and you want to think of A1cs in their actual terms (7.5) rather than (sorta good). If your doc's as good as you make him(?her?) sound, he'll probably agree with you.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good doctor! Halloo!

I'm very happy for you.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

That's excellent. I am really happy for you!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Tekakwitha said...

*sigh of relief*

That's wonderful news. Fabulous.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, where did your doctor recommend finding carb counts on ethnic foods? Calorie King is lacking in that area...

thanks,

tek

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! A good doctor. Good for you for switching!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Excellent. Like some of the others have said already: I'm green with envy about your doc. You're pretty lucky (in many, many ways, I'm sure you know).

10:56 AM  
Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

Now, aren't you happy you kept that appt. That doc sounds pretty dam good. Hold on tight to that one. Glad you are so happy!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Calliope said...

So glad for such a great appointment.
woo hoooo!!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a major Australian newspaper -
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/science-turns-to-stemcells/2006/12/07/1165081088364.html

I really hope they learn enough to keep your eyes looking beautiful forever.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

yayay for good doctors

1:54 AM  
Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

Good medical staff make you feel so much better, don't they? I'm glad you left your appointment feeling really great about your medical care.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Great!!

And ITA - why good/bad instead of high/low? Good/bad makes me measure my self worth by my bs or a1c at times... ya know?

8:48 AM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Sounds like a winner to me!

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Medical Billing Software said...

I know it is a hard journey...but you are managing it so gracefully...you do have so many whys when going through this just like all of us in the similar boat...hope things change for the better soon enough.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous vikramsingh said...

It was really nice.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home