Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bright Ideas for a Dismal Disease

I hijacked the comments over at Julia's with my list of "what I wish my parents had said to me" growing up as a Type I back in the dark old days of ChemStrips and wipe, wait, compare blood sugar monitoring. These were on my list:

  • I know it sucks to have to test your blood sugar at school/when you're with your friends/any time. No, but you really oughta shoulda. Just, IT SUCKS NOT TO BE ABLE TO BE A NORMAL KID.


  • I'm so proud of you FOR testing even when the numbers aren't where you want them to be.


  • You are so much more than the sum of your sugars. This disease is something WE have to control so that YOU get a chance to shine.



Anyone else have any tidbits to add? Disagree with my tidbits? Speak up!

2 Comments:

Blogger floreksa said...

I really, really need to work on the whole "You are so much more than the sum of your sugars" thang..Way too invested in what the stupid little meter tells me.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there--found you via Shot in the Dark. I didn't even know there was a diabetes OC until she linked to my post on Beanie Baby (my mommy blog).

What my parents actually said:

"WE are not changing our lifestyle for your disease. You are just going to have to get used to doing this on your own." When I asked, two weeks after dx, if they could stop buying cookies and ice cream for a month or two.

What I wish they'd said:

"OF course, honey! Now why didn't we think of that?"

What, me, bitter? Noooooo.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home