Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Give me an f! Give me an e!

... Give me a t... Okay, I'm sorry, I can't even muster enough enthusiasm for these poor little frozen embryo-yos to capitalize them. But abster asked for an update (thanks Abster! You get a capital A for Awesome) and so I dutifully report.

Pili went in for a wanding yesterday morning. Doctor Short but Sweet (he is indeed, both) or perhaps it was Nurse Practicioner Tall and Brusque (not really, but I like the contrast. And she is tall) pronounced her lining to be looking good. So next monday I will put on blue disposable scrubs and shoe covers and a lovely yellow hair net in order to be in the room and squeeze Pili's hand as Dr. SBS supposedly squeezes a couple of my de-frosted embryos into Pili. And then we cross our fingers, embark on the libido-lifting ritual of jabbing a mile long intra-muscular shot into Pili's tender flesh every morning, which really sweetie, hurts me more than it hurts you. Really. And then we wait, for two intensely, intensely, long weeks. Without alcohol.

For those of you who are going: huh? I thought you were adopting? Well, no matter what, we will be adopting down the road. Even if Pili does get pregnant via the defrosted lowercase embryos and winds up producing a child nine months later, we will still need to go through a home study and spend lots of money so that we are both legally the kiddo's moms. And why yes, that does make me bitter. Although grateful that I live in a solidly blue state where this is a possibility.

We're also starting to think through our options as far as different pathways to adoption and family building - domestic infant adoption vs. a couple of different international options - we have to figure out what makes the most sense for us. And we'll probably start doing the paperwork for the adoption even though we still have a few more embryos in the freezer (See OUCH Syndrome for an explanation of where all these embryos came from).

PhotoFriday this week is going to be tough. I have to choose ONE cute photo of the beasties. I may need some help with this...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Miller said...

I know what it's like to want a baby, and to have to experience both physical and emotional pain in order to even become pregnant (for me, it was two miscarriages and six years of secondary infertility).

And all of the pain, the frustration, was absolutely worth it.

Wishing you both much luck on Monday.

Sandra

p.s. Thank you for commenting this morning on my site. Your thoughts helped-- a lot.

I'm adding a link to your blog right now.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEst of luck. I have many friends who went through ART, so while I haven't experienced it myself, I know something of what it's like.

And here's hoping for a day when all loving families will be equally valued and supported by the state.

By the way, I'm adding you to my blogroll--I hope you don't mind.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Red said...

I share in your bitterness about the adoption situation.
Good luck on Monday!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home