Friday, March 03, 2006

Photo Friday: In the Closet


Q. What's in my closet?

A #1: Lots of people will probably make this joke, but um, definitely NOT ME.

A #2: A large black and white cat. The beasties, despite not having thumbs, have figured out how to push the sliding doors open by head butting them. There's usually at least one of them in there.

A#3: Another fabulous red shoe. Extremely uncomfortable, but fabulous.

A#4: Not really visible - a whip given to me as a joke by my lovely bridesmaids.

A#5: Lots of disorganized clothes.

A#6: A jar of change. My retirement savings plan, for right now. Also, lots of bags and bottles of syringes. Between infertility and diabetes, we generate a lot of medical waste. The local hospital accepts sharps on alternate tuesdays when the moon is full. As a result, my closet is full.

A#7: The one that makes me sad. On top, piles of karate gis, untouched for almost three years. When we moved to City I Dislike Intensely (CIDI), I left behind a karate dojo I loved - with a feminist ethic and devoted to non-violence. I was six months away from getting my black belt. I haven't found anything even remotely like it here, and have almost entirely given up my martial arts practice along with the joy, self-confidence, and strength I got from it. Even more than the career difficulties, this has been the hardest thing for me about this move. Sigh.





Closer upCould you kick him out of there? I didn't think so.

p.s. I also put up a bunch of photos on flickr from our India trip for the Naptime Books discussion of The God of Small Things. It's really strange to come inside from feeling the cutting wind against my cheeks and remember floating down river in a boat with the warm sun on my face just two short months ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

That IS a fabulous red shoe :) Too bad they're uncomfortable :(

And too bad about Karate. A friend of mine was on her way to black belt and moved. She too hasn't found a place she likes. She's pretty bummed about it.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I'm on that jar-of-change retirement plan too! Unfortunately I keep spending all my retirement on laundry. Hmmm.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home